Welcome to My Journey

This is John Michael Gore.  I love this picture because this was such a happy time for him.  He had probably just turned 17, beginning his senior year in high school.  We had taken so many pictures for his senior pictures, but this one always stood out to me.  We bought this jeep in 1983, before JM was born.  Skip had told him that when he graduated from high school - if he had good grades - that he would get a new jeep.  Well, grades were never an issue for John Michael because he loved learning.  But, when he turned 16, Skip had the blue jeep "overhauled" and turned it over to JM until he graduated - then, gave him a new red one.  But, JM was known for this blue jeep - it didn't go over 50 miles an hour, looked cool, and fit him perfectly.  At Lincoln County High School, you were assigned a student parking number.  For some reason, (thanks Mr. Fanning?), JM had one of the front parking spots.  You could see his jeep parked on the side all the way from Walmart.  Walmart was across the street from the high school so on any given day, you would see the jeep at the high school side, my red suburban (and, then Beemer) in front of the high school, and Skip's truck or jeep in Walmart parking lot.  As with most of our live, we were always circled together.

The Baby in his Jeep

This is John Michael Gore.  I love this picture because this was such a happy time for him.  He had probably just turned 17, beginning his senior year in high school.  We had taken so many pictures for his senior pictures, but this one always stood out to me.  We bought this jeep in 1983, before JM was born.  Skip had told him that when he graduated from high school – if he had good grades – that he would get a new jeep.  Well, grades were never an issue for John Michael because he loved learning.  But, when he turned 16, Skip had the blue jeep “overhauled” and turned it over to JM until he graduated – then, gave him a new red one.  But, JM was known for this blue jeep – it didn’t go over 50 miles an hour, looked cool, and fit him perfectly.  At Lincoln County High School, you were assigned a student parking number.  For some reason, (thanks Mr. Fanning?), JM had one of the front parking spots.  You could see his jeep parked on the side all the way from Walmart.  Walmart was across the street from the high school so on any given day, you would see the jeep at the high school side, my red suburban (and, then Beemer) in front of the high school, and Skip’s truck or jeep in Walmart parking lot.  As with most of our live, we were always circled together.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Welcome to My Journey

1. Mr WordPress says:

Hi, this is a comment.
    To delete a comment, just log in, and view the posts’ comments, there you will have the option to edit or delete them.

2. teresaswafford says:

My sweet friend!!! We miss you so much. What a precious smile you carried with you and what a special place you will always have in our hearts.. We love and miss you dearly! We were so blessed to have you and your family in our neighborhood. Not goodbye but know one day we will see your beautiful smile once again. So much love from Gary, TK , and Joshua………..

3. John Fanning says:

Marsha – That picture and that jeep brings back so many memories. I had to take care of my student council kids. John Michael’s class was truly one of those I will never forget. I often time told the students that they never knew how they made a different in the life of a teacher. John Michael was one who made a difference on mine.

4. Shelley Wall says:

Marsha- what a wonderful tribute! Love the jeep story- made me smile. I look forward to reading more. Keep it up!

5. Ava Waters-Maze says:

Marsha,

Thanks so much for sharing your heart and your memories. John Michael left a wonderful legacy and set an example that we should all follow. I know where he learned to be the special person he was when I look at the example that you and Skip are for others. John Michael obviously learned at an early age the art of caring intensly for his fellow human beings and of faith. Reading your blog both inspires and encourages me. Again, thanks for taking the time to create a very special place and space dedicated to John Michael.

Love,

Ava

6. Shelley Wall says:

Please keep the blog going! I love to hear about your wonderful son. It makes those of us who didn’t have the honor of knowing John Michael wish that we had 🙂

7. Robin Propes says:

Marsha, I just heard of James Michael’s passing today. Words can”t express my sorrow for you, but your uplifting words about his life are remarkable. Although, we have not been in direct contact for years, I truly enjoyed getting your Christmas cards each year and keeping up with his and your achievements. Please know that you and Skip are in our hearts and prayers.
    Robin & Mark Propes